Green Papaya Salad Recipe
Serving Portion: 2
Total Cooking Time: 30 Mins
Dry Ingredients (Included in Pandan Market Green Papaya Salad Kit)
1 tsp Thai Crush Chili Powder
2 tbsp Palm Sugar (~1 medium brick of Thai Flavour Palm Sugar)
1 tbsp Cooking Tamarind
1 tbsp Fermented Fish Sauce
1 tbsp Thai Fish Sauce
1 pack of Rice Vermicelli Noodles
2-3 Cloves of Garlic
3 Fresh Thai Chilis
1/4 cup Sliced Green Beans or Long Bean
1/4 cup Slice Thai Eggplant
1/2 cup Sliced Grape Tomatoes
2 tbsp Water
2 tbsp Lime Juice
2 cups Shredded Green Papaya
Crushed Roasted Peanuts for Garnish (optional)
Lettuce, Cabbage, or Green Beans for Garnish (optional)
- In a Papaya Salad Mortar, smash the Crushed Chili Powder, Garlic, and Fresh Thai Chilis together to a coarse mixture.
- Add the Green Beans, Thai Eggplant, and Grape Tomatoes to the aromatic mixture and continue pounding while stirring the mixture. Avoid over-crushing the tomatoes.
- Melt the Palm Sugar by combining 2 tbsp of Water and 1 brick of Palm Sugar and microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the brick is completely dissolved.
- Pour the melted Palm Sugar, Cooking Tamarind, Fermented Fish Sauce, Thai Fish Sauce, and Lime Juice into the mortar with the rest of the mixture. Lightly pound the mixture while stirring with a spoon to evenly combine. This is your base sauce for the salad and you may adjust the flavor to your liking. ***If you'd like a sweeter note, you can add more Palm Sugar. If you'd like a saltier note, you can add more fish sauce or Fermented Fish Sauce. If you'd like a sour note, you can add more Lime Juice or Cooking Tamarind. The Cooking Tamarind and Fermented Fish Sauce rounds out the flavors in this dish but they have a strong impact on the seasoning so use sparingly.
- Add the Shredded Green Papaya into the mortar and mix the sauce in by pounding with the pestle until thoroughly coated.
- Pour the finished salad on a plate and garnish with optional Crushed Roasted Peanuts, Lettuce, Cabbage, or Green Beans.
- If enjoying with Rice Vermicelli, prepare the noodles per package instructions. Serve along side Rice Vermicelli Noodles or Sticky Rice.