Vietnamese Fresh Spring Roll Recipe
Serving Portion: 2
Total Cooking Time: 30 Min - 1 hr
Kit Ingredients (Included in Pandan Market Vietnamese Fresh Spring Roll Kit)
- Rice Paper Wrappers
- Omsom Lemongrass Marinade
- Fish Sauce
- Fried Shallots
Rice Paper Roll Ingredients
- 8 Rice Paper Wrappers
- 1 or 2 sachets Omsom Lemongrass BBQ Marinade (Depending on your protein choice)
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup Basil or Cilantro leaves
- 8 tsp Fried Shallots
- 8 Lettuce Leaves (Red Leaf, Green Leaf, Little Gem, or Romaine)
- (Optional) 1 cup cooked Rice Noodles (Rice Vermicelli)
Fish Sauce Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp Water (dilute the concentrated sauce to your liking)
- 1 tbsp Minced Fresh Garlic
- (Optional) 1 tsp Fresh Thai Chili
Nutty Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tbsp Plain Nut Butter (Peanut, Almond, etc.)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- (Optional) 1 tbsp of Oyster Sauce or Hoisin Sauce
- (Optional) Crushed nuts as garnish
- Marinade your choice of protein and cook the protein per the marinade sachet instructions.
- Combine all the fish sauce dipping sauce ingredients and adjust the flavor to your liking. Make sure your whisk the sauce until the sugar has dissolved completely before tasting and adjusting. For a less pungent fish sauce tasting note, dilute with water by one teaspoon at a time until suited for your palate. Set aside.
- Combine all the nutty dipping sauce ingredients and adjust the flavor to your liking. Make sure you whisk the sauce until the sugar has dissolved completely before tasting and adjusting. Adding either Oyster Sauce or Hoisin Sauce will add an umami depth and round out the flavor. Garnish with crushed nuts. Set aside.
- Submerge one rice paper in warm water for 2-3 second until all areas front and back have touched the water. Placed the wet rice paper on a plate or an even surface.
- Basic wrapping mechanics: all ingredients must be position in the bottom half of the circular wrapper. Similar to burrito, you can leave some space without ingredients on the left and right ends to allow the ends to be wrapped. Alternatively, you don't have to leave the ends without ingredients and feel free to not wrap your ends. Think of sushi rolls!
- Gotta work fast here before your rice paper wrapper gets soggy which will make it hard for you to roll. Layer your ingredients on the bottom half of the wrapper starting with 1 lettuce leaves, 1 tsp of mint leaves, 1 tsp of basil or cilantro leaves, 1-2 tbsp of shredded carrots, 1 tbsp of rice noodles (optional), 2-3 tbsp of your cooked protein, 1 tsp of fried shallots. Roll the rice paper and squeeze the ingredients in to reduce the gaps in the roll.
- Repeat 7 more times! You can cut the rolls in half for easy dipping and plating.
- Plate your rolls and two dipping sauces on a beautiful Southeast Asian tray and sauce dishes. Enjoy!