Pad Thai (Thai Stir-Fried Noodles) Recipe
Serving Portion: 2
Total Cooking Time: 30 Mins
Dry Ingredients (Included in Pandan Market Pad Thai Kit)
7 oz Rice Sticks (half of the Golden Boy Dried Rice Noodles package)
1/4 cup Concentrate Cooking Tamarind
1/4 cup Thai Fish Sauce
2 oz Palm Sugar (1 medium brick of Thai Flavour Palm Sugar)
1/2 tsp Thai Chili Powder (exclude if you would like a mild flavor)
2 stems green onion or Chinese chives, chopped 2 inches long
1 cup of fresh bean sprouts
2 tbsp of sliced shallots
1 clove of garlic, minced
6 shrimps or 1/2 cup your choice of protein, sliced
2 tbsp oil
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, submerge dried rice noodles in the boiling water for 6 minutes. Occasionally stir to detangle. Rinse in cold water, drain, and set aside.
2. While the rice noodles are boiling, make the Pad Thai base sauce. Use a small sauce pot, combine concentrate cooking tamarind, fish sauce, palm sugar, and Thai chili powder (optional). Mix the ingredients together in medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 7 minutes and occasionally stir.
3. In a large pan or a wok, heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium high heat until you can see a wisp of smoke. Add garlic and shrimp (or your choice of protein). Stir fry until protein is cooked. Transfer the cooked meat to a separate plate.
4. Using the same pan or wok with the residual oil from stir-frieded protein, add the shallots and stir fry for 30 seconds. Crack the egg and scramble with the shallots until cooked, about 1 minute. Push the scrambled egg to the edge of the pan or wok. Add the pre-cooked noodles and the Pad Thai sauce. Mix the noodles and sauce together for 2 minutes. Add the bean sprouts, green onions (or chives), and shrimp (or your choice of protein). Mix all the ingredients including the scrambled egg for another 1 minute.
5. Serve hot with optional garnish of a wedge of lime, fresh bean sprouts, Thai chili powder, and ground peanuts.